Master of Science (MS)
The aim of this study was to determine whether performance in a 4000m individual pursuit could be significantly influenced by training protocols that are solely based in either aerobic/distance training, or anaerobic/sprint training. Faina et al., (1989) and Neuman et al. (1992) have found, using professional track cyclist that there appears to be a split in energy pathways used to perform the event. Their results indicate that 20% of the workload is achieved via anaerobic metabolism and the remaining 80% are achieved through aerobic metabolism. Group #1, followed a training protocol modeled after repeated, short duration, (<1:30.00s/1000m), high intensity sprinting. This particular training protocol may serve to utilize a greater proportion of its allotted time by generating beneficial metabolic adaptations that may possibly improve the subjects performance in the 4000m individual pursuit. Group #2, trained primarily through aerobic means, followed the "more traditional" training method for such an event. This protocol consisted of cycling intervals of distances proportionally longer (>4000m) than that of the actual performance measure. A reasonable assumption could be made, that more could be achieved by improving that area which has an 80% influence over an individual's performance in a single event than that which only accounts for 20%. Through metabolic and performance testing, the effectiveness of the 4-week training protocols were evaluated via specific values of interest (4000m performance, oxygen consumption, anaerobic threshold, power output and oxygen deficit). Results indicated improved 4000m performance for both groups, though no statistically significant difference between them. Each training protocol attained their results through adaptations in various metabolic pathways. Though statistically the findings were unable to determine a more successful program, Group #1 yielded a 1.75% advantage over Group #2 in 4000m performance, post training.
Document Availability at the Time of Submission
Release the entire work immediately for access worldwide.
Cheramie, William Mathieu, "Effects of aerobic and anaerobic training protocols on 4000m track cycling time trial" (2004). LSU Master's Theses. 1361.